Topic: Mental Health
Does sadness assail each of your thoughts and actions? According to the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2020, depression will be the leading cause of disability after cardiovascular diseases.
However, women are the ones with the greater risk of suffering (one in five will suffer an episode throughout her life). In contrast, in men the prevalence of depression is the most serious type.
Melancholy that changes according to sex ...
For the president of the Spanish Society of Psychiatry, Jerome Saiz, depression is more common in women because they have more hormonal changes, which alters the perception of the events of his life.
Moreover, at present, women are asked to have many different roles; mother, couple, professionally competing at the highest level and often this is not accompanied by contentment.
Although, what differentiates us in the case of depression? Here are five of them:
1. It start differently. For the expert Sam Cochran, a psychologist at the University of Iowa and co-author of Deepening Psychotherapy in Men , the men say they have problems at the workplace or with their work performance. Men also have a greater tendency to become irritated or angry. These emotions are not part of a classic diagnosis.
2. Men stay active. Unlike women who tend to abandon their activities, men act so as to avoid facing unpleasant feelings, says Fredric Rabinowitz, coauthor of Cochran and psychologist at the University of Redlands in California.
3. Your character changes. Men are more aggressive and looking to fight, women are too sad to go into discussion.
4. Inclination for some addictions. According to Rabinowit, depressed men tend to engage in drink or drugs, while women seek more food.
5. What's expressed. Women do not shut off their mood and tend to communicate it to others. Men simply do not open up in this manner.
Remember that your health is in your hands. A depression that lasts long and keeps you from doing your daily activities is not normal. Consult a health expert!